Past Chamber Projects
Just some of the past projects of the Urunga Mylestom Chamber of Commerce, some of which are ongoing, include:
- Business Expo – this was a showcase of the businesses of the seaboard, put on display for one day in one location for everyone to find out more about what is available to them locally. In abeyance at the moment.
- Street Beautification – working with the Bellingen Shire Council to help with C.B.D. beautification. Ongoing.
- Charity Ball – this was put on yearly to entertain the locals and to help raise money for seaboard projects. [More recently, this was overtaken by the TOAST Urunga Dinner-Dance, but that, too, is now defunct.]
- Town Signage – the first of these Chamber projects saw the restoration of the two Urunga town entrance signs by replacing the boats and revamping the sign writing. The next project was the placement of large, colourful signs – one at the Hillside Drive intersection with the Pacific Highway and one in the park opposite Anchors Wharf Cafe. [New projects to replace more signs are under consideration with Council.]
- Light up Urunga C.B.D. – Christmas-style bud lighting was put onto the fascia of many of the business houses in the town to give a more festive feel in the holiday season. A two-metre star was also put atop a Norfolk pine tree and light runners in the tree to create a huge Christmas tree for the Festive Season. Ongoing.
- Light up the Foreshores Competition – this project, originally sponsored by Country Energy, gave the whole area that magnificent Christmas feeling by promoting competition between everyone to light up their houses. Not only were the best-lit houses rewarded but also the best-lit Street/Road received recognition. It was, and still is truly a wonderful sight (although no longer sponsored), with people coming from miles away to view this lighting spectacular.
- Carols by Candlelight by the river at Urunga – from humble beginnings, this has become one of the Chamber’s major draw-cards to the town and is generally held on the Saturday evening before Christmas. Now known as CAROLS Urunga, this event is held on a purpose-built stage in the Morgo Street Reserve using the magnificent Kalang and Bellinger Rivers as a backdrop. Considering the town’s population of around 2200, crowds in excess of 3500 people start coming in around 5.30pm from all over the Shire to see and hear both local and professional talent. The sale of raffle tickets, glow sticks and all sorts of goodies from the food stalls help to make this a wonderful family event. The night culminates at around 9.00pm with a colourful and spectacular fireworks display over the rivers. This is truly a community event as all the local services including State Emergency Service, NSW Fire and Rescue, NSW Rural Fire Service, NSW Ambulance, and one or both of the local Surf Life Saving Clubs all assist in making the night a safe and happy event. Ongoing.
- Food and Wine Festival – Held first on the 2nd September 2007, as part of the Chamber’s program to “put Urunga on the map” prior to being bypassed by the new highway, the event is was known widely and marketed as “TOAST Urunga“. It is now a slightly smaller event (about 3000 instead of 8000, and no alcohol sales), and is known as FATHER’S DAY Urunga. It is still a day of good, fresh food and great music, all in a picturesque outdoor setting in a safe area of the Morgo Street Reserve, overlooking where the Bellinger and Kalang Rivers meet the sea. This event, on Father’s Day each year, has become the Chamber’s flagship event. Ongoing
We are regularly out on the Web. When we find a great site we list it.
Dorrigo community site
Armidale community site
I Love Bello Shire
Accommodation and Activities for the whole Shire
Bellingen community site
Coffs Harbour tourist and business directory
Coffs Coast community site
Tourism NSW information and services
Mid North Coast Tourism
Mid North Coast information and resources